Treatment Options for 2 Mole Removal Scars That Have Already Been Revised?

2 years ago I had a couple of moles removed. The sideburn scar widened and the neck scar became a keloid. 5 months later I had them cut and revised. They ended up no better off. I have had steroid injections in the keloid but now half of it is raised and the other half depressed. I am extremely skeptical about getting them cut out again, but it seems to be the only option. I have had scar undermining suggested (where the surrounding skin is loosened?) but am unsure if this is a good idea?

Doctor Answers 2

Scar removal treatment for wide, depressed scars with hair loss

These two scars will benefit from a combination FUE and Fractional CO2 skin resurfacing and vascular pulsed dye laser. These are effective scar removal treatments.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Surgical scarring

Your photos show wide depressed scars in the left temple and right back of the neck just below the hairline. The widening of the scars is due to skin surface tension at the time of closure and subsequent movement during daily life that stretch the scars. If you just cut them out and then suture the wounds they will be almost guaranteed to come back as the the act of cutting them out increases the tension of closure even more. Undermining of surrounding skin can allow closure under less tension but I do not think that will be possible in the temple area. The mobility in the neck area is so great that I think it would not work there either. You can test this for yourself by pinching the edges of the scar to simulate the abuttment of the edges after scar removal then move your head around. You will see that the surface tension with motion will not allow you to maintain the pinch.

You will need to stretch that skin first with something like pre-excision suturing or camouflage the temple scar with hair grafting.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.