How soon after my Mommy Makeover can I go overnight back packing hiking on the West Coast Trail in Canada?

I am getting the "mommy makeover" - breast lift with implants, abdominalplasty including muscle repair on Jan 12/ 2016. I am wondering if I will be well enough to go on a 5 night 6 day hike through the West Coast Trail by August 2016. My concern is that I will be carrying a very heavy packback with all my gear and I'm not sure that it will be safe or if I will still be tender/ painful. I'd love to do it! But I am also ok with waiting until the next year if that makes more sense for my recovery.

Backpacking & Hiking after a Mommy Makeover

Healing after a  #MommyMakeover will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Vigorous exercise 7 months post op?

Yes, at 7 months post op, you should be fine to take this kind of trip. Assuming, of course, that you have no complications following surgery. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Backpacking after Mommy Makeover procedure

I think its reasonable to wait at least 6 months after a Mommy Makeover procedure to recover and regain your fitness. I've noticed patients that retain abdominal post-op swelling that can last for months after tummy tuck, and physical activity tends to exacerbate this issue.

Back packing after surgery

Your planned excursion is seven months after your surgery. Barring any unforeseen mishaps this should be plenty of time for you to have healed completely.  

Hiking after abdominoplasty

If you have a very smooth recovery, I'd say that you'd be released for gradual return to unrestricted activities about 8 weeks later.  At that time, you will be a bit deconditioned and not really ready for "prime time" hiking as you have described.  I'd estimate 3-4 months is probably more realistic timing.  Discuss with your surgeon up front.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Assuming you have an uneventful recovery, you will likely be able to do your back packing trip some 8 months later.  You will lose some level of fitness during your recovery and may need to train extra for your trip.  Make sure your plastic surgeon knows of your plan to do this.  He/she will be your best resource for when you can return to exercise, how much weight you can lift, etc. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Hiking after an abdominoplasty

Safety is paramount and so my thinking is you should be quite conservative with this plan. I think you should have at least three or four months of recovery before attempting this. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hiking after an abdominoplasty.

Assuming you resume exercise at reasonable time points after surgery, you should be fine for hiking after 3-4 months. (I had a patient who ran a run marathon after that length of time.)

Hiking after makeover

Hello, usually by about 6 months postop, the vast majority of patients have fully recovered and are doing even very vigorous activities like hiking the West Coast Trail.  Some people do have lingering abdominal tightness or other problems so no surgeon can guarantee you will feel perfect, but this is uncommon.  Your surgeon will be able to follow your healing progress and guide you accordingly.

Recovery after MMO

We tell our patients they can start exercising 6 weeks after surgery.
So that leaves you plenty of time to prepare yourself for your hiking trip in august.