I'm starting to get adult acne. Do I go to a dermatologist 1st or to cosmetic surgeon for laser treatment IPL? (Photo)

Please see a dermatologist first

Thank you for your question and photo! I would recommend being evaluated by a dermatologist first who can get you on a good skin care regimen and perhaps prescription topicals or oral medications to help clear up your acne. Once your active acne has been controlled you could consider doing a laser treatment to help with residual pigmentation or redness. 

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

How About a Cosmetic Dermatologist--Acne and Acne Scars Treatment

I recommend going to a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. They can prescribe isotretinoin, the best treatment for acne and use a combination to improve any acne scarring with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Acne and hyperpigmentation

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, treating and stabilizing acne prior to cosmetic treatments are best. There are some dermatology practices that offer both medical and aesthetic treatments, which would address both your concerns for acne and hyperpigmentation. I recommend consulting with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD