I'm starting to get adult acne. Do I go to a dermatologist 1st or to cosmetic surgeon for laser treatment IPL? (Photo)

See a Dermatologist First For Adult Acne

It would be best to see a dermatologist first in order to get the acne under control.  Hormonal or adult acne is very complex yet common and Dermatologists are the expert at managing this condition.  In addition, if you were to do laser but the acne was not under control, you would continue to get new spots and marks that the laser would not have touched.  Also, the marks left behind from acne are usually something called Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation which is treated with topical agents and sunscreen and not with an IPL.  

Chula Vista Dermatologic Surgeon

Please see a dermatologist first

Thank you for your question and photo! I would recommend being evaluated by a dermatologist first who can get you on a good skin care regimen and perhaps prescription topicals or oral medications to help clear up your acne. Once your active acne has been controlled you could consider doing a laser treatment to help with residual pigmentation or redness. 

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

How About a Cosmetic Dermatologist--Acne and Acne Scars Treatment

I recommend going to a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. They can prescribe isotretinoin, the best treatment for acne and use a combination to improve any acne scarring with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Acne and hyperpigmentation

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, treating and stabilizing acne prior to cosmetic treatments are best. There are some dermatology practices that offer both medical and aesthetic treatments, which would address both your concerns for acne and hyperpigmentation. I recommend consulting with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD