I'm starting to get adult acne. Do I go to a dermatologist 1st or to cosmetic surgeon for laser treatment IPL? (Photo)

Doctor Answers 7

Yes you should see a dermatologist

While there are many different ways to treat acne I would see a general dermatologist First. Then he or she can decide if any special procedures are needed  besides creams and pills 

New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne treatments and ematrix RF

I would recommend ematrix RF for the acne scars. But first, I would treat the acne with Melapads daily and Melapeels once monthly because of the high chance of acne scar recurrence if we do not treat the acne. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

General dermatologist or endocrinologist

Both can help, however a general dermatologist can prescribed isotretinoin. Having said that, if you are risk adversed to this see an endocrinologist for spironolactone or cypeterone acetate, complemented by topical such as vitamin A- or topical antibiotics. Light or IPL in the blue spectrum can help kill the bacteria that causes acne, however most people would like a long term cure. More on acne treatments in the web reference below.

Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

See a Dermatologist First For Adult Acne

It would be best to see a dermatologist first in order to get the acne under control.  Hormonal or adult acne is very complex yet common and Dermatologists are the expert at managing this condition.  In addition, if you were to do laser but the acne was not under control, you would continue to get new spots and marks that the laser would not have touched.  Also, the marks left behind from acne are usually something called Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation which is treated with topical agents and sunscreen and not with an IPL.  

Jennifer Rullan, MD
Chula Vista Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Please see a dermatologist first

Thank you for your question and photo! I would recommend being evaluated by a dermatologist first who can get you on a good skin care regimen and perhaps prescription topicals or oral medications to help clear up your acne. Once your active acne has been controlled you could consider doing a laser treatment to help with residual pigmentation or redness. 

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

How About a Cosmetic Dermatologist--Acne and Acne Scars Treatment

I recommend going to a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. They can prescribe isotretinoin, the best treatment for acne and use a combination to improve any acne scarring with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Acne and hyperpigmentation

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, treating and stabilizing acne prior to cosmetic treatments are best. There are some dermatology practices that offer both medical and aesthetic treatments, which would address both your concerns for acne and hyperpigmentation. I recommend consulting with a board certified dermatologist to have your skin evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.