How to Get Rid of Armpit Fat?

when i was just developing in my armpits..i used to feel conscious and cut the hair there with a pair of scissors..i used to try cutting it really pulling the skin...and now i have this fat like thing in my a blob of fat...itz really wierd...will it go with some exercises? or is there a need for surgery? plz help..

Doctor Answers 4

Armpit fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Armpit fat may be fatty tissue or can be axillary breast tissue.  The fat can be suctioned but the axillary breast needs to be excised.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Arm Pit Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Several comments.

Arm pit fat may be fatty tumor (IE Lipoma) or more commonly extension sideways of fat from the breast. Depending on its size and the amount of skin involved it is managed by liposuction or by direct surgical removal.

Surgery should ALWAYS be done by ANOTHER surgeon. Any patient who operates on herself/himself needs a psychiatric evaluation. This holds regardless of the degree of medical or surgical training the person has. No one should be doing self-surgery.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Removal of axillary or armpit fat or fullness.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would agree with Dr. Aldea's assesment and recommendations. Armpit "fat" can actually breast tissue or prominent lymph nodes. Due to the presence of lymphatic vessels and nerves in this area, liposuction cannot be indiscriminately used and removal generally requires excision with an open approach.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

You might also like...

Lipoma or Inclusion Cyst

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   Two entities come to mind here. One is that you might have a lipoma, a benign fatty tumor. The second entity might be an epidermal inclusion cyst ( often erroneously called a sebaceous cyst). These can be created when the overlying skin is damaged, the pore ( or follicular orifice) is scarred and plugged and keratin ( not sebum!) fills up beneath the clogged pore

 . These two conditions can be cured surgically quite easily, so it is this treatment you should seek.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.