How to get rid of under-the-skin acne scars?

I have a few acne scars that aren't visible on my face, but they feel like bumps under my skin. I asked my dermatologist what she could do to get rid of them and she said she wouldn't inject them because it would leave "craters" where the bumps were, and she wouldn't cut them out because that would leave visible scars. She recommended an antibiotic but said it may not help. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of bumps under my skin caused by acne?

Doctor Answers 5

Have your skin examined by an expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is confusing to understand the condition that you are describing. It seems that you still have active acne spots, that could be treated with antibiotics and topical acne treatments. It seems to me that you are describing Comedonal acne that can be treated easily. The usual treatment is consisted of oral antibiotics and topical retinoid. After your breakouts stop, you may look into combination of laser treatments for acne scars, such as Fraxel laser and chemical peels, microdermabrasion, etc. Good luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Cyst vs other conditions. Laser may help.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These maybe micro cysts or actual cysts. The treatment depends on the diagnosis. I often use a laser to extract micro cyst, but injections to treat larger cysts. A diagnosis will be important before treatment. Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Acne scar vs active acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From you description, it is difficult to determine if you have scars under the skin or active acne, since your dermatologist has recommended oral antibiotics.  Oral antibiotics will not help scars that are present, but can prevent future scars.  Need more photos or a face to face consultation. 

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Improving acne with antibiotics

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are multiple ways to treat this type of acne. Oral antibiotics are helpful. Laser can be used as well. Accutane has also been used but is not my preference. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 70 reviews

Acne and Comedonal Acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you may have comedonal acne that needs to be extracted by your dermatologist.  Please consult an expert in acne and scars for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.