How do I treat my teenage, hormonal acne?

Even though my skin improved over the years, I suffer from hormonal acne often. I get cysts on my face and neck once to twice a week. Is there a way to prevent cysts without going on birth control? I use benzyol perxiode often and I have begun to use a retinoid once to three times a week (when I am not using the benzoyl peroxide). I have noticed that the retinoid has lightened acne scars and healed some acne, but it has also caused acne. I've been using it for about a month. What should I do?

Treating teenage acne

In addition to topicals, you should consult with your dermatologist regarding adding an oral medication to your acne treatment plan. Also, you may consider laser and peels for optimal improvement.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. There are several treatment options that can help but it is to hard to say what is the right one without examining your skin. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for a treatment plan that is best for you.

Teenage Acne

You should see a good dermatologist for evaluation and treatment. I would recommend starting out with antibiotic treatment as your first consideration. You should know, however, that any treatment for acne can take up to two months before you might see improvement. Shoul you fail on trials with antibiotics, you might be a candidate for isotretinoin (Accutane). However, please check side effects before making a decision. BTW, you need to be on some form of birth control while you are on isotretinoin, so BCP's might be in your future anyway.              jlr

John Louis Ratz, MD
Lagrange Dermatologist