Higher Chance of Scarring from Stitches Than Skin Glue?

I received a small cut on the bone below my eyebrow. ER would not call a plastic surgeon and used skin glue. Now, a plastic surgeon wants to cut and sew it. I've heard conflicting reports of more scars from stitches and sutures than glue. It's a very thin scar. I've had the cut for 10 days. Any opinions? Will vitamin E or Silicone sheets help with scar fading?

Suture vs glue and scarring

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best route relating to this question  is to choose the surgeon that you want, whatever works best in his or her hands is going to be the right answer to this. 

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Membership in organizations like the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery help to identify a highly trained surgeon.

Cameron Chesnut

#realself500 Physician

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar revision for a glued dermabond scar

Sutures are usually required for high tension wounds or wounds that will not coapt on their own.  I would go with the recommendations of your plastic surgeon regarding scar revision.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Stitches versus Glue for Scarring?

There is no way to know with any degree of certainty that your scar would have healed better with sutures as opposed to dermabond.   Generally, the use of  sutures versus glue will depend on the specific wound/ laceration. In my opinion, the laceration would have to be very superficial to want to use of glue.

Silicone products (gel or sheeting)  are what I recommend to patients to help with scar fading.