Acne for More Than 8 Yrs. I Am an Indian and Have Scars and Black Spots. How Can I Get Rid of This?

Doctor Answers 3

Improving acne and its resulting defects.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I assume that you are from south Asia and as such also assume you have darker skin tones.  Any injury to the skin can result in a dark mark, whether an acne lesion, a scratch, burn, bite etc.  The first task is to control your acne to prevent new dark marks from forming.  Hydroquinone bleaching agents can be combined with a good acne regimen and chemical peels or microdermabrasion to gradually lighten the discolorations.  Controlling your acne and evening your skin tones may be all you need.  Possibly you suffer from only pigment and not true scars.

Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Hope for acne scars and dark spots

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Start with a dermatologist to get your acne under control. If you keep getting acne you'll keep getting dark spots and will continue to be unhappy with your appearance. Once your acne is treated, then consider scar treatments.

Daniel J. Ladd Jr., DO
Austin Dermatologist

The Palette Approach to Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many different techniques used in improving acne scars. It is a certainty that you will need to be treated with more than one. The characteristics of your scars (box-car, rolling, etc.), what depth the left-over color is at, and other factors will all be used to make a plan of treatment. You will need to see someone who can address all your concerns. Barry Resnik, MD, Dermatologist/cosmetic surgeon, Miami, FL

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.