Deep pitted, recessed scar. Is there any possible treatment? Doctors tell me there's no treatment! (Photo)

I have deep recessed scar on center of left cheek, not one solid level but more like mountains and valleys, Also have another one on sideburn area that I got a sand abrasion on when I was 14 but it turned into big keloid scar. Two years ago I got a filler(3 syringes) in the one on center of cheek but it just gave me a really fat cheek. These are scars from a skin condition I had when I was 2-3 yrs old, now Im 26 and doctors are telling me there's nothing I can do! I really hope that's not true.

Doctor Answers 3

Treatment of deep scars on the cheeks in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend a combination of Plato's Scar Serum, subcision, fillers, ematrix, and fractional lasers to reduce scarring on your cheek. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Pitted Scarring -- Requires Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience to determine what combinations are best.  Pitted scars need TCA cross or surgical removal along with lasers and microneedling.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Deep, pitted, recessed scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a difficult scar to treat.  Surgical excision of the scar could be considered but the wound closure would require a skin flap and would leave significant scarring.  Two or three serial excisions done over time might be considered whereby only part of the scar is removed each time and the skin is closed, allowing the skin to heal and stretch before the next removal.  See a  plastic surgeon or surgical dermatologist for in person consultation. Best of luck.


Dr. Ort

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.