What are my options for reducing mild acne/oily skin? (Photos)

I have tried prescription topical creams, antibiotics, and birth control, and nothing has been able to make my skin look clear. I have had mild but persistent acne for about 7 years now. Although my acne is only mild, I still get frustrated from time to time. After the previous methods have failed, what should my next steps be for controlling my acne/oil? Thank you.

Oily skin and acne

Don't give up. We have so many options these days for treating your acne. We have many  topicals, several different antibiotics, lasers and Accutane.Be sure to see a Dermatologist to help with your skin plan. If one treatment doesn't work try different things til you get the plan that does work for you. 

In the mean time while you are waiting to be seen try using less drying products. Often times patients use too strong of products and the patient responds with making more oil..

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Oily skin

Oily skin may occur from you making more oil just because you are OR it may be in response to using too harsh of products or too many products.  I would encourage you to minimize your skin care and speak to you dermatologist.  I am a fan of a gentle cleanser, sun block and retinol.  I have oily skin and I control it by using AHA/BHA cleanser and retinol by #SkinMedica.  We also offer a variety of other creams, pills, and lasers to help you stay skintastic. 

Sandra M. Johnson, MD
Fort Smith Dermatologist

Failed traditional therapy for acne, try lasers

I am a fan of using lasers for acne. The treatments are usually done in a series of up to 8, and usually there is minimal downtime. They give long term relief but need touch ups. They also improve the quality of the skin. I use the Spectra QS laser and gold toning handpiece. Also the Excel V is used for this (VBeam too).

Steven F. Weiner, MD