How Long After a Breast Reduction Are You Laid Up?

Time off after breast reduction

Patients do very well in terms of not needing pain medication after several days. I a, very conservative and suggest that my patients take two weeks off from work. In this economy, there is nothing worse than underestimating the time needed for recuperation and having an angry employer. Sutures are removed by or before two weeks. I am also cognizant that our NYC commuting experience is a trying one for many women and that they aren't ready to resume strap hanging a week after surgery and that it takes time to recuperate from the effects of general anesthesia. Many women are in very good shape a week after surgery and use week 2 to recoup before returning to work.

Plan on a Minimum of 10 Days

There are different aspects to recovery following breast reduction. If, by "laid up," you mean how long before you can return to work, the answer is usually about a week to 10 days (depending on the type of job you have). If you're wondering about how long before you can resume strenuous workouts at the gym or other active physical activity, that will be more like a month. You should follow your plastic surgeon's instructions when it comes to recovery. And remember that any recovery timeline is a guideline; each patient recovers at her own unique pace.

I tell my patients that I don’t want them lying in bed after surgery. In general, the best healing and fastest recovery comes with being up and about on your feet and walking right away.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after a Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, most patients are back to their normal daily routine, including work, within 3-5 days after surgery.  With that said, for the first 4-6 weeks patients are required to refrain from any physical activities including exercising and heavy lifting.  Patients will vary on the length of time they request off from their employers the same way that they vary on their discomfort tolerance, but most patients do quite well quite quickly.  

Please remember however that patient recovery will vary from patient to patient.  As such, I would recommend consulting and discussing your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reduction procedures.  Surgical technique, expertise and experience, in addition to a patient's ability to bounce back, will play a large role in the amount of downtime you will specifically require.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Stephen T. Greenberg, MD
Woodbury Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast reduction

Depending on your overall health, a breast reduction could be done as an outpatient (meaning you go home the same day). Most plastic surgeons will encourage you to start walking the same day and not to stay in bed except for normal sleep. Taking narcotic pain medications for 3 to 7 days is typical and many patients return to light duty work within 1 week. By 4 to 6 weeks, most all other activities can be resumed. Although there is some "down time”, most patients don't mind since they quickly feel so much better with their new smaller breasts.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Recovery Varies

The time required for recovery following a breast reduction and all surgery varies a good deal among patients.  I have had some patients who were taking only Tylenol for pain control on the night of surgery and others who required narcotics 3 weeks post-op.  Most patients whose work is sedentary can return to work in 1-2 weeks, but women whose jobs involve heavy lifting and straining may need to take 6 weeks or so off.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Augmentation Recovery

You will experience some swelling or discomfort as the anaesthetic wears off, which is managed with prescribed pain relief. Usually you are able to go home on the day of your operation, but in some circumstances your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay in a hospital.

You will return for a check -up within the first few days after surgery. You should expect some initial swelling and firmness – this is normal. Tape is applied to the healing wounds to help reduce scar formation. You will be provided with instructions on care of your surgical site and you will need to wear your surgical support bra for three to four weeks afterwards. Swelling normally takes up to six weeks to settle and your stitches should dissolve over three months or so. A small scar will remain either under the breast fold, in the areola, or in the natural crease under the arm. The scar’s appearance will gradually improve over three to nine months. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Recovery?

Like every procedure performed,  every patient will have a different recovery experience. Some of this experience will depend on the patient's personality/pain threshold etc.

Most patients are “laid up” for a few days and return  to light activities within 7 to 10 days. Heavy lifting should be delayed for 4 to 6 weeks.

Recovery time for breast reduction.

Most breast reductions are done as outpatient surgery (IE, you go home the same day).  I instruct my patients to take 2 weeks off from work, but most feel able to return to desk work in about 10 days.  If the patient has a more active job, I recommend 3 or 4 weeks off to be sure there is proper healing.  As with most surgery, the most discomfort occurs in the first 2 - 3 days and then will begin to fade in the days after.  Discomfort after breast reduction is usually controlled by taking the pain medications regularly, wearing a support bra without under wires and using cool compresses along the incision lines on top of the bra.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

How much time off after a Breast Reduction...

Breast Reduction is a procedure where the surgeon is removing excess breast tissue and skin to achieve smaller breasts.  Because the muscles are not touched there shouldn't be much pain, most patients complain of being uncomfortable.  The recommended recovery time would be one week for office jobs.  Any jobs requiring heavy lifting would need more time off, approximately two to three weeks depending on healing.  You would need to discuss your job requirements with your surgeon to find out the exactly how much recovery time is needed.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Down time after Breast Reduction

People heal at different rates but the vast majority of women undergoing Breast Reductions return back to work in a wee to two weeks. The procedure is performed as an outpatient. Women return to full gym activities in 3-4 weeks after surgery. Dr. Peter Aldea