How long until the swelling goes down after a mommy makeover?

I am getting a mommy makeover the first week of December. I have a Carribean trip planned the second week of January. How can I expect my body to look in terms of swelling and discomfort? Could I wear a bikini? Can I swim etc?

Swelling Concern After a Mommy Makeover Procedure

Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Swelling after a Mommy Makeover

Most swelling in the breasts is resolved at 3 to 5 weeks. The abdomen generally takes a little longer perhaps 6 weeks. You should be able to enjoy that vacation without being self conscious by about 6 weeks.

Swelling is not uncommon after a tummy tuck and typically lasts quite a while. 80% has resolved by 3 months and the rest takes up to a year to resolve. You have to be patient with the healing process.
I don't let my patients submerge in water for 6 weeks. Enjoy your new look!Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How long until the swelling goes down after a mommy makeover

Thank you for submitting your question.  After 6 weeks, if there are no complications, patients are cleared for exercise and swimming.  It may take up to six months for the swelling to subside and the true result seen. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes

Post op

Roughly 5 weeks after this surgery it is usually safe to swim/bath etc., as long as your incisions have healed with no issues and are totally closed.

The majority of swelling will have resolved by then however, especially for the abdominal area, you may have some residual swelling for a few months still after that.

I recommend that you pay a visit to your Plastic Surgeon before your trip and they will let you know if you have any restrictions.

All the best!

Thank you for your question.  Depending on the types of procedures you are having done, much of the swelling after surgery will have resolved, but will still have a component that will be affecting your long-term results.  You will still have some degree of soreness but should be able to wear a bikini and swim, assuming no wound healing issues after surgery.  Hope this helps. 

Thank you for your question.  Like all things in life it depends upon several factors such as how much correction was performed, was there any muscle repair, or liposuction.  These are all factors that can influence your swelling and recovery.  In my practice most of my patients are active by three weeks and should be able to travel.  I restrict any heavy lifting after muscle repair for eight to twelve weeks and they are without restrictions by three months.  Of course when it comes to swimming are you referring to olympic race or just getting into a the water and cooling off?  These are good questions and I would recommend you discuss these with your surgeon who will have their own protocols for what was actually performed. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post surgery

Hello. Oftentimes a patient may experience soft tissue swelling for several months after surgery. Depending upon the procedure you have it could be a while before you are fully comfortable in a bikini. By 3-6 months your results will be aesthetically pleasing. Good luck. 

Dr. B

Vacation after mommy makeover

You will have largely recovered from your mommy makeover in one month although there are a few activities to be very cautious about doing. The skin of your tummy and possibly your breasts will still be very vulnerable to sunburn, so you should not expose the front of your body ( your face is ok to tan.) to more than 5 minutes of sun every few hours. Definitely do not cheat on this recommendation as a sunburn can lead to severe scarring.Sunlight can also penetrate clothing, so be sure to cover your scars with a combination sunblock/silicone layer.

I hope that this helps

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Swelling after mommy makeover. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

To reduce the post op swelling, I recommend to perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD