What treatment would you recommend for asian skin with moderate acne scars?

Hello- I have moderate acne scars (ice pick, box car). These scars are old (15+ years). I went to see one doctor about Fraxel or any other procedure that would get rid of my scars and was told that as an asian I do not have any other options besides microdermabrasion and chemical peels. I have medium skin tone. I have been ( still am) doing microdermabrasion about every 3 weeks for 16 months. I would like to be more aggressive and get rid of my scars. NOrthern NJ/NY area. Thank you!!

Acne scars in Asian Skin

Thank you for your inquiry.  In my experience ice pick scars tend to respond best to surgical treatment.  I do not find that lasers or other technology-based treatments are particularly successful in improving their appearance.  Box car scars may be treated surgically with subcision if their severity warrants this or with a technology-based approach if they are very mild.  Microdermabrasion is helpful for maintenance of skin health but won't do much for your scarring.  I have successfully treated mild acne scars in Asian skin using ematrix (fractional radiofrequency resurfacing) and "laser genesis", a treatment performed with a long-pulsed 1064nm Nd:YAG laser.  Best of luck!

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Acne scars and treatment

Acne scars can be treated best with lasers such as Fraxel or EMatrix. Depending on your skin type either laser may be an option for you. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in lasers and Asian skin for the best cosmetic results.