Cystic acne scars at 50yrs old. Scarring has caused puppet lines.

I have suffered cystic acne for many years. I am now in my 50's had have sever scaring on my chin. The most embarrassing part is I look like a puppet with the deep lines I have from the corners of my mouth. I know they cannot be completely removed but would like to reduce them. I have tethered scars as well as deep holes.I still have some areas deep under my skin that has never resolved. What would be my options?

Doctor Answers 3

Acne scars and treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. There are a couple of options to improve your scarring. The PicoSure laser is FDA-approved for treatment of acne scars and dark spots. It works by aiming short bursts of laser energy into your inner and outer tissues. This helps to eliminate red spots, dark spots, and scarring. It also helps to cleanse the pores and encourage healthy skin through the production of collagen and elastin. There is also the CO2 Laser. This laser is used to stimulate collagen and improve the texture of the skin, resulting in smoother and tighter skin. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Lots of Great Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill, Sculptra or Radiesse; Eclipse Micropen for improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Viva to improve the scars and skin tone while improving long term collagen production. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Cystic Acne and Deep lines

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without a photos it is difficult to assess the situation but it sounds like a combination of injections with fillers and lasers such as Fraxel and eMatrix will help you.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.