What treatment would you recommend for hypertrophic scars from acne on my nose? (photos)

I am an Indian origin male aged 18-24. I've suffered cystic acne, concentrated on the nose, since my early teens. The acne is less active but it has left raised lumpy hypertrophic scarring of my nose which has affected my confidence and self esteem. I have had 3 dermaroller/dermapen treatments but i don't think this has made a massive difference. What treatments would you recommend for my skin colour/type and realistically, how much will my nose improve? Thanks

Doctor Answers 4

Hypertrophic scarring removal

Thank you for your question. Hypertrophic scars can be treated with steroid injections that will diminish their appearance. Along with the natural reduction of the scar, this gives very good results. However, to improve results for your type of acne scarring, I like to start with the Pulsed Dye Laser. You will need 4-5 treatments spread 4 weeks apart. If you are interested you should seek a qualified physician to give you a thorough consultation.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Hypertrophic Scars

A combination of intralesional steroid injections and Fraxel Laser will help treat these scars.  It will take several sessions to heal these scars at least one month apart.  Please consult an expert in scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Hypertrophic scars on nose

In my opinion, the best treatment for hypertrophic scars on the nose is intralesional injections. Since you have dark skin, I would avoid steroids. Verapamil and 5-fluorouracil are excellent in darker-skinned patients. We have combined injections with ablative and non-ablative lasers. Find a acne scar expert. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Check, inject and laser

Once you have been examined, and maybe even a test extraction done to ensure they are not comedones (large "white heads") I tend to treat these with a series of steroid injections and fractionated laser (Fraxel, CO2) treatment.  Find a dermatologist experienced in treating darker skin-types, as there are a number of important nuances to be noted when treating this patient group.  Best wishes, Shobhan.

Shobhan Manoharan, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.