How do I lose the weight?

Hi my name is Kimberly. I am 19 years old 5' 1'' and 210 pounds. I am considered obese. I've tried so many things to lose weight. I have tried fasting but ended up binging 2 days in. I have tried eating only 600 calories a day but was always left very unsatisfied and then I binged. I tried becoming vegan but couldn't get into it really. Long story short nothing I've tried has helped me drop a single pound. I need a specific, detailed plan on how I can lose weight. Any help?!

How do I lose the weight?

It's very common to feel like you're not losing weight fast enough, despite sticking to your diet. Having unrealistic expectations can work against you. Adjust your expectations to a realistic and modest goal, such as 10% drop in weight in one year. This can prevent you from getting discouraged and will improve your chances for success. Here are some tips: Choose low carb diet. Get enough protein and fiber in each meal. Eat real food. Avoid processed foods. Avoid fruit and alcohol (beer). Avoid artificial sweeteners. Cut out sugar-sweetened beverages. Eat less dairy. Stress less, Sleep more. Exercise smart. Don't eat too much. Track what you eat. Be persistent.

Sometimes Diet and Exercise is not enough. In these cases you have the option of medical weight loss or weight loss surgery. Medical weight loss is weight management that targets the root causes of obesity and weight gain. Trained doctors or medical providers provide the treatment and guidance necessary to achieve weight loss and maintain it. You may also qualify for weight loss surgery if your BMI is at least 40, or if your BMI is at least 35 and you have other significant health issues related to your weight, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

Bariatric surgery might be perfect for you

Left unchecked, obesity will increase your risk for many chronic medical conditions which will impede and likely shorten your life not to mention a boatload of orthopedic problems. I would recommend you schedule a consultation with a hospital or surgeon that specializes in bariatric surgery. It's very effective.

Struggling with weight loss

Hi Kimberly,

Weight loss can be really challenging and difficult especially when you feel you have tried so many options.  Safe weight loss requires not only diet changes and physical activity but a whole lifestyle change.  It sounds like you may need some help getting towards your goal.  Don't be discouraged many people do and there are safe and healthy ways to achieve weight loss.

I would suggest rather than looking for a detailed plan online, seek out the help of a medical weight loss specialist.  A physician whose practice centers around weight management can help you come up with a plan that will help you lose weight safely in a way that will work for you.  At you BMI you may also qualify for bariatric surgery if you fail medical weight loss.  Hang in there and best of luck!

Dr. Rednam