I Have a Scar on my Lip That Makes a Noticeable Bump. Is There Any Surgery or Remedies I Can Try? (photo)

I got in a football accident when i was younger and it left a scar that looks like a noticeable bump on my lip. It's very frustrating and depressing talking to someone and they're just looking at your biggest insecurity. So if there is any way to remove it or make it look better i would really appreciate the suggestions. I didn't know whether to put this under scars treatment or scar removal.

Doctor Answers 4

Revising lip scars that are lumpy

Lip bumps are usually a result of previous trauma.  I would recommend a scar revision technique to reduce and debulk the area and smoothe it out. Sometimes injections and IIT may help as well. 


The procedure is an outpatient minor surgery. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Dermatologists have many ways to treat scars.

You should see a board-certified dermatologist or dermatologic surgeon in your area.  Scars like this are sometimes best treated with injections of cortisone-type medications to soften and/or flatten, and may also be treated with laser treatments or surgical scar revision.  Your dermatologist will want to look at your scar as you move your lips and to feel it for firmness before deciding on the best treatment plan for your scar.

Lisa Chipps, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Removing lump on lip

There are a few options for removing or reducing your lip scar, from surgical scar revision, to laser or electrosurgical reduction - best to speak with a dermatologist or plastic surgeons about the best option for you. If the scar is hard, it can also be injected with cortisone to flatten it.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews


I would see a board certified plastic surgeon.Your scar can be easily treated with a scar revision and does not need injections.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.