Chemical peel or laser for acne and fine lines under eye area? (photos)

I'm battling adult acne and fine lines that have begun to show under my eyes from squinting and smoking. I currently use Retin-A .1 % nightly and have been for about 2 years but acne and lines are not getting any better. Will a chemical peel or laser treatment give me better results for both acne and lines?

Treating Fine Lines Around Eyes: KEEP IT SIMPLE (& Relatively Inexpensive)

In general, the very fine, motion related lines around your eyes can be treated quite easily using Botox (or Dysport or Xeomin) to suppress overactivity of the muscles of facial expression around the eyes that have contributed to their development. For the fine "etched" lines that remain at rest (which are the result of the combination of repetitive movement of the above muscles, and smoking and sun-related aging), tiny droplets of an appropriate filler, such as Belotero Balance, placed under and along these lines will elevate and smooth them. Combining the Botox and filler can achieve gratifying results that may last approximately one year. 

As to your acne, you would do well to consult with a board certified dermatologist to receive the correct combination of at-home prescription medications and in-office treatments, which may include a series of relatively inexpensive, full strength glycolic or salicylic acid peels to complement your home regimen. I am not much of a fan of relatively expensive laser treatments and in general do not feel they are necessary or particularly effective. Best of luck. 

Acne and fine lines under eyes

Laser treatments are always going to be more aggressive than light chemical peels. Lines under eyes are treated with Botox, fillers, and lasers. Certainly smoking is not a good habit for healthy skin and will lead to premature aging. Acne is treatable with lasers as well. Keep in mind there are several different kinds of lasers and different wavelengths are needed for different conditions. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fine Lines under the Eyes

A combination of chemical peels, eMatrix (with the special eye piece), or microneedling will all help with the delicate under eye area.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green