What type of acne scarring do i have? And what is the best way to treat them? (photos)

Hi,i am 20 year-old,Asian,male,I have come cross with some post saying that different type of acne scarring requires different treatment, may i ask what type of scarring do i have? And what is the best way to treat them? I've been looking into some post and videos on how to differentiate the type of acne scars, but i can't really get my way around them, cause they all look so similar to me, especially for boxcar and ice pick. Attached are my left and right cheek.

Combination approach. TCA CROSS, Infini, PRP, filler, and others

See video link for more information. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery. Looks like the first step for you would be to raise the deep scars with TCA CROSS first.  The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars. All the best, Dr Davin Lim Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist Brisbane, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Asian with acne scarring

Part of the problem is hyperpigmentation. So topicals are needed such as Retin A and hydroquinones. Device wise, I think the Infini is the best all around tool for all types of acne scars. After about 3 treatments, remaining scars can be subcised with Bellafill placed underneath. Sometimes TCA cross is needed for ice pick scarring. PRP has shown some benefit as well.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne Scar Treatment in Los Angeles with Ematrix RF, Yag laser, subcision, and IPL

I would begin with application of Melapads twice daily followed by a combination of Ematrix RF, Yag laser, subcision, and IPL to help treat your acne scars. Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los AngelesAcne Scars

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

This needs a combination approach. I suggest you see an expert.  Lasers, microneedling, TCA cross, and subcision do well for this.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne scar type

There are basically 3 types of post acne atrophic scars: box
car scars, ice pick scars and rolling scars. Then scars can also be shallow or
very deep and/or bound down to the underlying tissues. These scars can also
affect the landscape of your skin. Is your skin even just like a flat valley or
more of valleys and hills, where the skin looks wavy?  Most people have all types of acne scarring. Your
scars are mostly ice pick, with scattered box car scars. There is NO BEST
SINGLE way to treat acne scars. Based on scar type, scar depth, skin landscape,
skin's natural color, your aversion to downtime and your treatment goal, the
approach to treatment is multi-disciplinary. It can be a combination of acid
peels, dermal fillers, silicone injection, collagen induction therapy and laser
treatments.  Asian skin like other ethnic
skin needs to be handled with extra judicious care, because ethnic skin can
easily develop post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Cynthia M. Lopez, MD
Fresno Physician

Acne Scars

You have a combination of scars like most acne patients with scars.  I would recommend a combination of fillers such as Restylane or Bellafill and laser such as eMatrix.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green