With the new laser technology,what is the best option to stop acne/ acne scarring for female w/ hormonal imbalances+pcos?(photo)

I'm a 29yr old female. In the past 5 years I've been struggling with hormonal acne+ pcos, therefore been on and off bcp+ spiro100mg. Now its been 8 months since i started the course recommend by my dermatologist, my skin is still breaking out leaving behind ugly red boxcar scars that aren't easy to treat even with a couple of co2 laser sessions. What are the best options to stop acne/ scarring? Is Isolaz laser treatment an alternative to bcp/ or accutane? Please advice.

Treatments for acne and acne scars

Thank you for your question Fajer. Acne is a common condition which can be frustrating to treat. Hormonal acne is best addressed with oral contraceptive pills. Often times patients try several different ones before finding one that works well for them. I recommend that my patients have their active acne under control before treating scars because if not new scars can form. Fractional laser resurfacing and chemical peels work well for acne scars. For active acne microdermabrasion and chemical peels are common treatments. Isolaz uses IPL technology combined with suction. Lower wavelengths of visible light (blue light) is used to target the bacteria. In our office I have designed a triple laser treatment for acne. It starts with a Forever Young BBL IPL photofacial using blue light settings. The second step is a photorejuvenation step similar to the Cutera laser genesis. The third step is a Micro Laser Peel. I have found that a series of three to six of these treatments every six to eight weeks can provide significant improvement. After that maintenance treatments are done once every three months. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Laser Acne treatments...

Thank you for your question.  Isolaz is a photneumatic device, meaning it uses suction and light to treat acne and is not a laser.  We find, and there are ongoing studies to support this, that Cutera's Laser Genesis V (micro pulsed 1064 Nd:Yag laser found on the Excel V laser) works extraordinarily well to treat acne as well it stimulates collagen production leading to improved appearance of scars.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon