How do I get smooth, even skin across my entire face? (Photos)

I had really bad acne a few years ago and right now I only get one or two every now and then, the only problem is that I have small holes on my face and what looks like to me, blackheads I'm assuming. They aren't black though so I'm not sure. They're small bumps that you can only see close up. I have makeup on in the picture but you can still see the holes on my face.Iwash my face twice a day and I'm on Birth control which helps breakouts but I just want a smooth even face.Thank you in advance!

Both Active Acne and Acne Scarring Must Be Treated

There are two issues that you face and both must be addressed for optimal results.  The first is the occurrence from time to time of active acne and persistent blackheads.  Control of the active acne can be achieved in a variety of methods including medicated face washes, topical medications, oral medications, and/or laser therapy.  Persistent blackheads are often best dealt with by simple extraction performed by an experienced professional to avoid excessive skin damage.  The second problem is your acne scarring.  Acne scarring can be addressed with various combinations of lasers, microneedling, topical growth products, and/or filler.  The selection of which modality to use and what time is a tailored process that must take into account your existing skin type as well as the degree and extent of your scarring/roughened skin texture.  When both of these factors are controlled and optimized, your skin will be the smoothest it can be.  In order to achieve the best results, consultation with a Board certified dermatologist with specialized cosmetic training would be ideal.

San Diego Dermatologist

Smoothing out skin that has acne scars

I would try Infini for this. I would do 2-3 sessions. Laser resurfacing with the Fraxel 1550 is another option but Infini has shown better results in my practice.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Smooth Skin Solution--acne scars treatment with lasers, microneedling/prp, fillers

Acne scars require a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers to get improvement. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with an acne scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

Acne Scar Treatment

Many treatments can help with acne scars and the choice will depend upon your tolerance for "downtime." First, since you are still getting blackheads, a retinoid should be part of your daily routine. This can be a prescription such as Retin A. In addition to reducing blackheads, a retinoid will also stimulate collagen to support remodeling of your scars. Other treatments could involve micro needling or radio frequency (minimal downtime) or more dramatic improvement with fractionated CO2 laser or phenol peels (more significant downtime). Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Smooth Skin

Good Morning and thank you for the photo and question. You would be a great candidate for a treatment called Micro Needling or Collogen Induction Therapy. Micro Needling is a procedure that minimizes scarring and signs of aging by stimulating the skin’s own rejuvenation process. The micro needling pen creates tiny punctures that prompt the immune system to boost blood flow, produce new skin cells, and remodel collagen and elastin. It’s a natural process that helps the body produce tighter, smoother-looking skin. SkinPen® from Bellus Medical represents the latest generation of devices. SkinPen® has popularized microneedling with men and women with busy personal schedules. The procedure is minimally-invasive, sessions are short, and it requires little downtime.

First find a good Plastic Surgeon or Cosmetic Dermatologist and ask about this treatment. We have seen some very impresive results and I hope you do as well. Good Luck!

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Acne Laser

Laser treatments are an option to help smooth your face. The key here is to make sure your acne is under control as much as possible prior to undergoing any treatment for this. 

Laser resurfacing can really give a nice look to treat these scars. Bellafill is always  a consideration which is FDA approved for acne scars.

The key would be to find a good dermatologist who treats acne and then either have them or a plastic surgeon that does laser discuss the next step.

Best of Luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon