Platelet-Rich Plasma or CO2 for acne scar skin? (photo)

25, asian and scar easily (hypertrophic), used to suffer from acne but not much anymore. I have both ice and box scars, uneven dull skin. What does PRP helps with? How many sessions is needed? My scars are not severe but i have them on both cheeks, temples and chin. i wish to get smoother and clearer skin but unsure whether to go for PRP or co2 laser. also want to get rid of nasolabial folds and the darkness under eyes. Does it look like i have hyperpigmentation?

Microneedling energy device with PRP.

Yes, Co2 could work nicely, but being Asian the treatment density will need to be kept low, and intervals long. You may need up to 5 sessions. 

Now, I personally would combine microneedling RF using INFINI (Note- this is not just microneedling, but energy based RF insulated needling. A lot different.) I would then PRP at the same time- faster healing, better results. This method has very very little chances of PIH or skin darkening, and can be done at more frequent intervals. 

If you have remaining atrophic scars, I would use a filler at the end. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist 
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

Acne scarring can be treated with a combination approach of lasers (Fractional Laser Resurfacing), peels, skin care and microneedling and fillers.. I suggest consulting with an experienced cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Subcision For Elevating Depressed Scars; Microneedling For Improving Their Superficial Tone and Texture

An additional closeup photo would have been very helpful. In general, depressed scars, such as boxcar scars, can be elevated using a combination of subcision for breaking up scar tethering under the scar that pulls it downward, and filler for additional elevation and additional biostimulation of new, native collagen and elastic fibers.

Medical microneedling can then be used, if desired, to further improve the surface texture and tone of the treated areas. A series of superficial peels may also be helpful for restoring glow to your skin.

In my opinion, PRP offers little except to increase the time and expense of treatments. expensive Carbon dioxide laser, if ablative, engenders prolonged healing time and downtime and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, especially in people of color, and fraxels have inconsistent and variable results and likewise do not generally justify the expense of these treatments. 

Injectable fillers and volumizing fillers work well for treating hollows and dark circles under the eyes and smile lines. 

You would do well to consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in acne scar treatments in people of color. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Asian skin with acne scars. PRP? ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion you have superficial boxcars. I am not able to appreciate ice pick scars. Your skin would do well with micro needling combined with PRP or ablative and non-ablative Laser combined with PRP. PRP by itself in a single application helps to slightly Improve the treatment results.However, it makes it heal significantly faster. Find an acne scar expert. Look at photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon