Should I do laser treatment asap for acne scarring or try out more conservative methods like silicone sheeting first?

Got hypertrophic acne scarring ranging from 10 mo to 4 mo. Just started using silicone sheeting. From what I have read, for such a condition intralesional injections should be done early for a better response. What about laser treatments? What are the benefits of doing laser treatment on hypertrophic scars early?Should I wait and try out the silicone sheeting method first?

Top acne scar treatments

I would be difficult to apply silicone sheeting to the face. As such, Plato's Scar Serum may be better suited for you. Lasers and fractional RF are excellent for your acne scars but it is also alright to go conservative at first. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
#Realself100 Surgeon

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

this requires a combination of treatments including lasers, surgery, fillers.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with expertise.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Timing of treatment - Hypertrophic scars?

In my opinion, early treatment is recommended for ANY type of scarring. At this time,the fibrotic process is beginning. I feel that non-ablative laser would be more effective then silicone sheeting. If it is financially feasible, the combination of the both would be most effective. Intralesional injections with 5-fluorouracil, verapamil and intralesional steroids as well as steroid impregnated tape would be helpful. You should seek a acne scar expert. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Scars and treatments

I would definitely post a photo of the scars because some of it depends on the nature of the scar and the location.  It would probably be best to wait a few months to see if the redness dissipates or the scars shrink somewhat.  This is an expert technique to treat these scars so please consult an experienced dermatologist.  Best, Dr. Green