Is it Keloid or Hypertrophic? (photo)

Hi I had a pimple that was persistent on my cheek. I broke the rules and squeezed a little, and unfortunately that made things worse. I was left with a red mark that felt like it had a small bump under it. So i tried to treat it with BHA and unfortunately my skin reacted really badly to this. It's now a scar and I need to know if its Keloid or Hypertrophic? It seems a little bigger than the original site, but i cant be sure as not much bigger if that. Im very worried. Does hydrocortisone help?

Doctor Answers 5

Hypertrophic scarring on the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This may be a hypertrophic scar with inflammation that can be treated with Kenalog IIT, lasers, and Plato's Scar Serum. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Scar on cheek

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like hypertrophic scar, unfortunately hydrocortisone cream is unlikely to change its course.

I would suggest steroid injections, with the warning that occasionally a dark spot might develop, but if that is ineffective, (or leaves a dark spot) it can be easily excised and delicately closed to leave a minimal scar.

Manish Raj Gupta, MD
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Scar on cheek after pimple

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would seek out an evaluation. Injection with steroids or 5FU can be used. Also, lasers, such as Excel V, and Infini can be used if you don't respond. It doesn't look like a keloid.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Don't Worry! There are options!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This looks like a hypertrophic scar. A combination approach is needed to get the best outcome. I suggest you see an expert who can get you on a short and long term plan including lasers, fillers, subcision, and skin care. Steroid/5fu injections may also help.  Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

​Is this a hypertrophic scar or keloid.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on the way it looks, it looks more like a hypertrophic scar rather than a keloid. I couldn't rule out a keloid but it typically doesn't happen in that location based on my experience. So the question is how do you remove it I think you need to cut it out either with excisional cold scalpel means or with a laser

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.