Can I get full tummy tuck right after a mini due to bad results?

I am 8 weeks post op. My dr gave me a mini tummy tuck instead of a full like we discussed. I still have sagging skin above my belly button and he didn't tighten my upper abdomen. Can I now get a full tummy tuck like I wanted the first time? And how long do I have to wait?

Full Tummy Tuck after Mini Tummy Tuck

I am sorry you are not satisfied with your current results. It is possible to have a full tummy tuck after a mini tummy tuck. It is all about how much skin laxity is still in the abdomen and the position of the umbilicus.  If the umbilicus is too high, it is very difficult to take that lower skin out.  My best recommendation would be to get a proper consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine and assess your current situation.  I hope this helps. 

Unhappy with mini TT

It is possible to convert mini abdominoplasty into a full abdominoplasty to improve result. However, it is always better to wait at least 3-6 months before new surgery to let swelling and other sings of postoperative inflammation disappear and normal circulation return to injured tissues.  When your condition is more stable you should discuss result and options for improvement with your plastic surgeon.  Second opinion consult may be needed occasionally. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck after undergoing a mini tuck is possible

Hi jackietoone.  It is possible to proceed with a full tuck after undergoing a mini after at least 3 months interval if there has been an uncomplicated healing course.  You would be at increased risk for wound healing issues afterwards, so optimize your chances with good preoperative nutrition, no smoking or second hand smoke exposure, activity restrictions, etc. There may be an option to remove the skin around the belly button without undergoing a full tuck, so be sure to consult with an ABPS certified PS and relay your concerns to them.  Good luck!

Converting mini tuck to full tummy tuck

It may be possible to convert a mini to a full, but there may be other less invasive options as well.  Often the skin removal when converting a mini to a full would be quite large and disruptive.

For many patients, an in-between option exists to tighten the skin above the umbilicus without having to remove all of the skin between the mini tuck incision and the umbilicus.  This could avoid a long and high incision, and allow use of the old incision as well.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Converting a mini to a full tummy tuck

There are several variations on tummy tucks and there should be clear communication about the plan. It may be possible to convert from a mini to a full tummy tuck, but without pictures it is difficult to advise. You will need to wait a few months in any case.

Richard Baxter, MD