Unsure of What is Wrong/how to Fix This! (Photo)

I'm 20 and sometimes feel as though the muscles/skin around my mouth are a little 'old' in appearance. Any kind of invasive procedure, let alone botox, has always been a bit of a no-go for me but I'm becoming increasingly self-conscious of this circular shape which surrounds my mouth and am unable to put my finger on exactly what is wrong. One more thing that I feel may be useful; I have dermatillomania, very dry skin and am trying to drink more water to see if it will help plump these hollows.

Doctor Answers 3

Perioral aging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is a loss of volume around your mouth in the photo shown.  This allows the perioral muscles to become prominent.  Fillers hyaluronic acid (Juvaderm or Restylane) or fat (taken from elsewhere in your body) would fill the areas of volume loss well.

Best wishes

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Facial hollowness needs Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Facial beauty depends on balance and proportion. You have a beautiful face. However, I see where the lateral (on the sides of the mouth) depressions are noticeable. The best solution would be Sculptra injections in those depressed areas to bulk them up and bring them at the same level as the mouth, lips and chin. This will take away the circular appearance.

Remember it is all about correct diagnosis and then precise treatment.


Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Hollows of face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While it is hard to say for sure without seeing you in person, you might want to consider a hyaluronic acid filler. Not only would this help you temporarily, but they have also been shown to increase the production of collagen in your skin. I would see either a dermatlogist or plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Vicki J. Levine, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.