How to Treat This Old Indented Scar? (photo)

Scar is more than 6 years old. I believe caused by combination during from acne and sun damage. This is probably the worse it can be seen.Will Erbium Fractional Resurfacing help treat this scar? Can experience dermatologists, plastic surgeon, doctor give an honest answer will this scar be improve to what extent. People always say is "not that bad" They cannot see it properly but under certain light it really look horrible. Do i need to treat this by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Doctor Answers 6

A Fractional CO2 Laser will treat an indented scar

An atrophic (indented) scar like this will respond beautifully to treatment with a Fractional CO2 laser performed by a board certified dermatologist.  Fractional CO2 lasers work by using laser energy in tiny columns to penetrate the skin and stimulate collagen renewal.  The result is the production of healthy collagen, which will soften the appearance of this atrophic scars.  Most patients will see 50-75% improvement of atrophic scarring after one Fractional CO2 laser treatment - and the improvement is permanent.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 13 reviews



If you’re trying to make your acne scars better you need to have laser treatment, depending on how deep they are or what kind of scars you are dealing with. You have a few different options. There is Profractional laser, micro laser peel or even a face lift to stretch the skin and help improve the deeper scars. Good luck..


Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
3.3 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Treating Isolated Cheek Scar

I would recommend treatment with a laser such as Fraxel re:store (re:pair in just one area might not be your best bet), and/or a filler for the indentation. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Treating a depressed scar needs to have filler placed underneath and maybe laser after that

The picture shows that the majority of the problem is that there is loss of tissue volume in the area of the scar.  I would first treat with a filler, either Restylane, Perlane, or Belotero.  If you don't have the results you want after that, and the volume is corrected, Fraxel Dual would be helpfull to correct the superficial scar tissue.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Treatment for old indented scar

There are several options for treating a wide, depressed scar, such as yours.  I would say that you have two options.  One would be to inject a filler material underneath the scar to raise it, thus making it less noticeable.  The other option would be to have it surgically excised.  In essence, you would be trading up for a better scar that ideally would be flat and thin.  I don't think a laser would be all that helpful for your scar.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Treatment for Indented Scar on the Cheek

The picture is very blurry so it is difficult to see exactly what type of scar it is.  It will likely need a combination of resurfacing (either with a laser or electrocautery) and filling with an injectable filler. Consult with a board-certified physician experienced in treating scars. Click on the link below for before and after pictures of scars treated with filler and resurfacing. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.