Treatment for these possible hypertrophic acne scars? (Photo)

Hello Dr, I have had these skin colored, raised bumps on my nose now for a while now as they were left behind from large pimples/acne. These bumps are not bothersome at all nor painful just aesthetic unpleasing. What type of treatments are available that could smooth out these bumps, particularly those that non invasive (lasers, injections etc.). Would a dermabrasion, silicone sheets/gel or a chemical peel suffice?

Treating hypertrophic acne scars on nose

Thanks for providing a picture.  I have found that the best treatment for these types of scars is a combination of intralesional cortisone and fractional resurfacing.  Silicone sheets may help, and you could certainly give them a try for a few months.  I do not believe that microdermabrasion or chemical peels would help.

Bumps, Acne, and Possible Treatments

I would suggest an in person consultation wit an experienced dermatologist. As these bumps might not all be scars from acne.That said, yes, there are some lasers and other therapies out there that can be used to give you the result you want. But superficial chemical peels and silicone sheets are not likely to be sufficient.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scars and lasers

The photo that you provided was very helpful.  The eMatrix laser would be the best laser to help heal these acne scars.  I might also suggest a small amount of intralesional kenalog as well to shrink the scars.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with these lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Growth of tissue on the nose

These areas of tissue growth are not related to scars, but rather to sebaceous growth in most cases. Selective hyfrecation and laser resurfacing are both great options for you.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treatment for Raised Scars

Usually raised scars are treated with intralesional injections of Kenalog which is a type of cortisone.  It softens and flattens raised scars.  The main risk is causing an indented area (atrophy).  On the face, it is usually best to start with a lower concentration of Kenalog and increase the concentration if needed.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon