Will my baby have normal skin again? (Photo)

A week ago my child got burned with the vacuum and I've been very concerned about the healing process, will the skin heal back to normal? Currently on silverdene twice a day. He will be seeing a plastic surgeon this week but I wanted to hear from other doctors out there (Pic was taken with flash on). Thanks!

Doctor Answers 3

Hand burns and burn care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Aggressive treatment is important to avoid a functional scar contracture.  A burn surgeon, and then a pediatric hand specialist can help improve longterm prospects. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Pediatric Burns

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Any burns in children, or burns on the hands and feet meet criteria for transfer to a regional burn center. The child should be evaluated at an emergency department regardless, if this has not happened already.
The hands and feet are the thickest skin on the body, and it is very hard to get a full thickness injury (that will require surgery) in these areas.
I generally treat hand burns with silvadene, or silverlon gloves; aggressive physical therapy and close follow up to ensure that there is no infection and that hand range of motion is preserved.

Burn scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears the area is still actively healing. I would follow the wound care recommendations from your doctors and silverdene is a good agent for wound care. Once the area has healed, the scarring depends on the depth of the burn injury. There is a wonderful dermatologist in Miami who treats many burn scars with lasers named Jill Waibel. If there are any contractures or excessive scar tissue, it might be useful to see her.  Good luck.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.