What is this redness on my skin? Is it hyperpigmentation from acne? (photos)

I have had these redness scars for over 1 year now. They haven't noticeably faded over the past year. Ive been on retinol but it hasn't helped. Any ideas? I would prefer to go with something over the counter or prescription based. Thanks so much for your help and time.

Doctor Answers 6

Macular erythema or red scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These are very common after active acne, most fade, but if they have been present for over one year, laser is advisable. Either a vascular laser such as a pulse dye or v beam laser, or IPL would help. 3 sessions over 3 months with a slight bruising setting is best. Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

What is this redness on my skin? Is it hyperpigmentation from acne?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your pictures. This is the after effect of acne. Unfortunalely you get the acne under control and then you have the pigmentation to deal with. For the redness you would benefit form doing some light treatments like VPL. Along with that a good skin care with bleaching cream and vitamin c. Good Luck!

Bruce K. Smith, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Red Acne Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a few topical treatments that you can use to lighten red acne scars such as topical Vitamin C. I would recommend the V-Beam laser as it is the gold standard for treating these red acne scars. Best, Dr. Green

Red acne scars require a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, and fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I suggest you see an acne scarring expert, there are many combination of treatments that can be used such as fractional lasers, microneedling/prp, fillers, and vbeam/pulsed dye laser to give improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Redness associated with acne

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is acne and the aftermath of acne. It will respond to Excel V treatment. Topical therapy will be additional helpful. See an acne specialist with lasers.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

​Redness and hyperpigmentation from acne and how to treat these on your cheek.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Redness and hyperpigmentation from acne and how to treat these on your cheek. Some of this is from inflammation that is trying to heal the acne process that has occurred. You might want to try a trial of acne skincare treatments, a trial to see what permanent scars you will have left. Then you'll need to probably do CO2 laser resurfacing to decrease the elevation of any types of scars to create a new layer of skin which will help your red marks and I do see some depressed areas in your cheeks by your cheekbone. This could be raised up with lasering as well. You may need some volumizing but you'll need a consultation to see if you require that.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.