What would be the best treament or procedure for me? Am trying to get rid of my acne scars? (photos)

Would plastic surgery be the best choice ? I been having acne scars for 4 years hopefully I can get rid of them or get an improvement? How many treaments would I need and what would the estimated cost will be?

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist that does combination treatments including lasers, fillers, subcision to get best results.  Dr. Emer.

Acne scar treatments in dark skin

A combination of injectables such as Sculptra to build up collagen and lasers such as EMatrix will greatly help improve the appearance of these scars. It will take at least four laser treatments to improve these challenging scars. Best, Dr. Green

Acne scars.

Yes,  acne scars can be very challenging. Although there are many treatment options, I currently favor Venus viva. This is relatively non-invasive yet a series of treatments can be very beneficial in the treatment of acne scars. I suggest you find an office that offers this new technology. Of further interest to you, this technology is extremely safe for people with darker pigmentation. Good luck.

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Plastics or dermatology review.

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars. In your case, you will require a combination of fractional energy devices, subcision, and dermal filling. Cost wise, I can not comment as this is based upon your insurance cover. 

In Australia, these treatments are partially covered under our Medicare system. In the US, it is dependent on who you see. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist