Herpes and acne scars, how do I get rid of the scarring?

Hi, Am a 24 year old female , suffering from depressed acne scarring. I also have HSV - 1 which I contracted a year back. Over these 2 years I have done 2 RF microneedling [procedures. The doctor although he knew of my medical condition didn't put me on does of valcivir before the laser. I had a horrible outbreak all over my face. In the area which laser was performed. I desperately want to have my acne scars removed, Laser is not an option anymore. So can you'll help me finding my options ?

Multiple treatments for acne scar revision.

Acne scar revision is a specialised field. For the best results, one should target the acne scar type with ideal treatments. For example deep ice pick scars, and narrow box car scars can be treated with TCA CROSS peels, mixed scars, rolling, and atrophic scars treated with fractional devices such as Fraxel, fractional lasers, and INFINI radiofrequency. Atrophic scars (depressions) can be treated with either fat grafts, or with HA dermal fillers. Tethered and anchored scars are best treated with surgery.

The majority of patients will have a collection of different scar types, and hence a tailored treatment METHOD will be best. Careful examination, especially under angled lighting with scar mapping will give you an understanding of what are the best options for your scars.

Dr Davin Lim.

Laser, surgical & aesthetic dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia.

Brisbane Dermatologist

Treating acne scars with HSV

Treatment can be performed even with HSV if the virus is treated with Valtrex. I like the Infini for this and other methods which may help are: subcision, TCA Cross, PRP, Bellafill. Don't back off therapy because of the HSV.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne scarring and cold sores

I am sorry to hear of your challenges treating your skin.  Without photographs it is difficult to make truly informed recommendations.  I do feel that technology-based options are acceptable in patients who have a history of HSV as long as appropriate preventative measures are taken.  For the treatment of depressed acne scars, aggressive subcision is often extremely helpful.  Injectable fillers may play a role as well.  Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon