Will Photofacial Help with Sun Damage?

I have sun damage (hyperpigmentation) on my upper lip. This happened after waxing my upper lip and not using sunscreen while traveling in Africa. I've gotten the spot to fade using Jan Marini Lightening gel but it still seems somewhat visible after I'm in the sun (even though I'm now obsessive about wearing sunscreen). I'm considering a Photofacial and wondering if this will work better for that deep damage. I've read some things about the possibility of a Photofacial making hyperpigmentation from sun damage worse. Any suggestions or advice?

Doctor Answers 4

Hyper pigmentation and photo facials versus peels

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is best to use a combination approach when treating patients for hyperoigmentation from the sun. I wish you had provided a photo since my answer might be different.  Generally for what you are describing I would suggest a combination of sunblock, retinoids, hydroquinones, and chemical peels.  It is a problem that will need maintenance and constant sun avoidance. I recommend you find a board certified dermatologist to get the best recommendations and treatment.  


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Photofacials may be beneficial in treating sun damaged skin.  There are topical creams, like hydroquinone, that can be helpful as well.  Depending on your skin type and the amount of sun damage there is, either options are available.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an evaluation.

Reducing sun damage with a Melapeel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A photofacial will work to reduce sun damage, as will topical creams such as Melaquin and chemical peels such as a MelaPeel. 

Photofacial or Fotofacial are great treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Rose

Fotofacials are intense pulse light (IPL) based treatments. They are great for sun damage. My personal feeling is that these services are best in the hands of physicians and a surgeons and not their nurses or assistants. Others would disagree with this opinion. However, this may or may not be the best choice for you. I recommend that you consult with a cosmetic dermatologist and let them assess you. Based on that assessment they will make an appropriate recommendation.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.