Want to get rid of deep laugh lines around my mouth. (photos)

I'm 36 y/o female. I've had fluctuations in my weight and I also smile a lot so I suppose it's a combination of that and my age. I don't smoke but do spend a lot of time in the sun. Specifically one very deep line on the right side of my mouth bothers me. What would be the best and longest lasting remedy? I do not want to have to address this issue every 6 months. Please help. See photos.

Deep line on side of mouth

Looking at your photos I would suggest either a long lasting filler such a voluma or fat transfer to your deep line.  Both of these would give you long lasting results and soften the appearance of the line.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of Lines Around the Mouth

Hello! Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs. I personally think about lines around the mouth in two categories. (1) lines that are etched into the skin like tiny canyons vs (2) folds where the skin is slumping forward over itself. Etched in lines respond beautifully to a filler like Juvederm, which has to be done once a year. Folds are a little more difficult and take a little more work. Generally speaking, you have to lift folded skin from above, by injecting a filler such as Voluma along the cheekbone or a softer filler like Juvederm into the hollow of the cheek just under the cheekbone (called the "submalar area") in order to lift the skin up and back and fix the folding. Based on your pictures I would call the lines you are experiencing skin folding - but an in-person consult will be more specific. I hope this helps - and good luck!

Folds--Options for results

The photos provided I would suggest a combination technique I have due to the laxity of your skin by using what I call the silhouette lift. The procedure is less time-consuming than a traditional facelift or bodylift, and there is virtually no recovery or downtime. The end result is a more natural and youthful appearance by using special suture threads to “lift up” sagging skin on the neck and face. With this lift you can also combine it with volume injecting fat and stem cells along with HA fillers. Please consult with an expert in cosmetic and aesthetic facial injectables. Best, Dr. Berger

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat; Buccal Fat Pad; Botox; Liposuction

Fillers, sculptra and fat can be used to improve this area. I suggest tho, skin tightening and lasers, microneedling/PRP as you seem to have laxity.  I suggest a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laugh line treatment with filler

Part of the problem is low of facial volume. Placing filler just in the NLF will look abnormal. I would place some the cheek, Restylane or Restylane Lyft, and then see how the NLF look. If there still is a problem, some filler can be added there too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laugh lines around the mouth

Dear Brandy
There are several different options to treat the laugh lines around the mouth .  An in person consultation would be better as there are several factors that contribute to the laugh lines around the mouth.  First and foremost laugh lines are not necessarily a sign of aging.  They can just be normal expression lines.  In addition, sometimes there is mid face volume loss in the cheek region which can cause the laugh lines to seem deeper and the solution is to actually place the filler in the cheek first to create a lift.  This creates a more natural look.  If some desires laugh line correction after that, you typically don't have to put as much in that region.  Choice of filler depends on duration and cost.  Most fillers are hyaluronic acid filler.  Benefit is that they can be dissolved shoulder it cause and issue or problem. Volume can be injected in this area and can last up to 2 years if an appropriate amount is injected.  Newer fillers such as Bellafill can last evenIt is best to see an experience provider to ensure optimal results

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician