What can I do for my acne scars? (Photo)

I have had severed acne in my teens to the point where I did multiple treatments of Accutane. Now in my thirties the scars remain. I have tried the obagi peel and fraxel ( seven treatments) with little results. What else can I do?

Endymed's microneedle RF is very effective for atrophic acne scars.

Acne scars are one of the most difficult disorders to treat in aesthetic dermatology.

The cause of the scars are most probably to thickened bands of college under the scars causing a retraction of skin surface.

The  newest  minimally  invasive  treatment for this  condition is  a new  technology  using  ultra thin gold  plated  micro needles  that heat  the deep layer of the  skin (dermis)  to produce new  collagen that  would  fill your  depressed  scars . (Intensif handpiece by Endymed) .

In a recent  study  we have  found improvement in 95% of patients. 25% showed excellent improvement, 50% experienced good improvement, and the 20% showed minimal improvement. One patient showed no improvement. For this  treatment  we  use  a topical anesthetic with minimal discomfort  and  minimal risk or  downtime. 

In contrast  to  fractional lasers that are limited  in use in darker skin types, this specific   microneedle  RF  technology is  suitable and safe  for  all  skin types  and  colors  including  black skin. 

Depressed Acne Scars—Effective, Minimal Downtime Treatment with a Novel Smooth
Motion Non-Insulated Microneedle Radio frequency Technology. Yoram Harth, Monica Elman, Einat Ackerman, Ido Frank. Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications, 2014, 4, 212-218. 

Israel Dermatologist

Acne scar treatment

If you've used one type of laser with multiple treatments and no new outcome, I would suggest maybe trying a different laser combination. If you used Accutane then likely your acne is under control, but there are other stronger peels available to you as well as microdermabrasion or microneedling with PRP(your own growth factors). See a cosmetic dermatologist in person to narrow down a plan for you
.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your pictures!

Kate Ross, MD
Bradenton Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial acne scars after Accutane

Based upon your photos, you have rolling depressed scars and raised papules and nodules.
The depressed scars can be treated with subscision ,microneedle with sculptra, light laser or standard fillers.
The raised scars are best treat with 5 fu injection plus fractionated lasers.Any treatments must consider your ethnicity.
Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scars and Dark Skin

Acne scars are best treated in darker skin types with the eMatrix. These scars are very difficult to treat with the Fraxel laser unless your skin is lighter. You need to have a significant amount of heat to effect change in these scars and produce new collagen. The eMatix allows you to do this through radio frequency technology. Please find an experienced dermatologist who understands your skin type and these lasers.