How can you tell the difference between acne scars and sebaceous hyperplasia on the nose? (Photo)

I had acne on the nose and was left with bumps. I saw a dermatologist and he says the bumps are sebaceous hyperplasia. I read electrocautery the best way to get rid of these bumps. Does electrocautery leave scars? I also considered frexel dual but I read that it does not get rid of the bumps. I also have indented scar from a biopsy and pit scars from acne. What is the recommended treatment for my nose?

Lelcetrosurgery, micorneddlingl

Ugh the electrosurgery will flatten raised areas and Microneedling can safely raise depressed areas with no downtime. Both could be done in sa,e session. The lector surgery will take a few weeks to heal and will leave temporary redness.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 13 days ago

Acne scars and Sebaceous Hyperplasia

It appears from the photo that you have acne scars and a smaller amount of sebaceous hyperplasia.  The scars would best be treated with eMatrix.  The sebaceous hyperplasia requires gentle electrodessication so that you do not have scars.  Please consult an expert in Asian skin and scars for the best treatment.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Last contacted 9 hours ago

Scars vs Sebaceous Hyperplasia

In my opinion, you have different types of scars on the nose. Acne scars are treated based upon the type of scars. The acne pits, indented scars and the large pores on the nose can be treated with TCA cross, micro needling, micro needling with radio frequency (infini) and non-ablative lasers. The raised bumps, seem to be hypertrophic scars. Sebaceous hyperplasia are usually yellow or lighter in color than the remaining skin on the nose. There is usually a central opening in sebaceous hyperplasia. Hypertrophic scars can be treated with injections of steroids, verapamil, and 5-fluorouracil. Look for a physician who has experience in treating acne scars. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 7 hours ago