Is microneedling with the addition of PRP worth the extra cost?

Last year I completed a series of Skinpen treatments for mild acne scarring and saw slight improvement which was great as I wasn't expecting anyone to perform miracles. Microneedling with PRP is now available in my area-at triple the cost. I don't mind paying more for better results-but I also don't want to pay for hype. Any insight would be great!

Microneedling and PRP

Thank you for your question.  Be aware of the fact that not all microneedling treatments are the same.  There is tremendous variability in outcomes related to the relative aggressiveness of treatment, depth of treatment, and a variety of other factors.  There is currently no science supporting a proven benefit to PRP for treatment of facial scarring or aging.  I would strongly suggest seeing someone who has extensive experience in the treatment of acne scars before deciding on your next treatment.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Absolutely Worth It--Microneedling with PRP

Absolutely. PRP (platelet rich plasma) is a process by which the platelets and growth factors from a patient's whole blood are processed and used with microneedling to enhance the benefits of your treatment. I like to combine microneedling/prp with lasers for a combination treatment. I recommend seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation to see what's best for you. Microneedling alone is just okay for scars you really need a combination approach. Best, Dr. Emer

PRP improve microneedling procedure? What's the concentration of the PRP?

PRP is being used for many things without much scientific backing. It seems to work best in injured areas. Adding it to microneedling will probably enhance the benefit some. The real thing to look at is the concentration of the PRP. Most places use a very low concentration which is essentially worthless. The sweet spot is 6x, 1.5 million plts/ml. Some are given just plasma, no concentration what so ever. There is poor regulation of what is called PRP and it deceives the consumers. Please see the link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

We have been offering microneedling with various options, and have found the PRP to work the best.  Our patients who do this have returned very excited about the results they have.  We especially like to use it for patients who have fine lines or scars.  Other available options include Hyaluronic acid and growth factor treatments.  If you do not have anything to correct and are just having microneedling as a preventative treatment, Hyaluronic acid is fine.  If you are treating for poor skin quality, fine lines, or scars and can not afford the PRP, growth factors are a good option.  Good luck!

Micro-needling Platelet Rich Plasma

The usual definition of scientifically valid is that research has been completed and reviewed for publication by the editorial board of a respected scientific journal from a major editorial board of a member society of the                 American Board of Medical Specialists. The study does not just look backward at results, rather treats patients forward into the future. There are usually a group of patients who are treated with the technology in question and those who are not. In this way, when the author does not know which group is which, we draw what are considered to be valid conclusions as to "scientific" validity.

"Needling" has been around this earth for decades. It is now "new" because of the marketing efforts invested. 

PRP is now the latest "snake oil" being placed on the skin. While PRP surely has a role when INJECTED in certain situations, you will not find valid "scientific" studies for putting PRP ON the skin for needling.

There seems to be no depth to the low too many "medspa/laser centers" will go to take money from false claims of "sculpting fat", "stimulating collagen", "freezing fat", ultrasounding fat", "light/laser" killing fat, and injection of fat killing poison.  

Sorry to tell you, but I personally would not throw away my money. Charity for the poor would be better.

Thanks

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling is proven to work, but is not a miracle. PRP is "hot" right now but has very little good science to support it, mostly small reports done by companies who make PRP products. While it may work, for acne scars, the actual amount of improvement is hard to determine.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS