What should I do to these red acne scars? (Photo)

I had a break out lately, 3 acne form on my cheek area, it was cystic acne, I didn't popped it because im afraid of acne indented scars, so i just leave them, unfortunately it popped by itself so i had to squeeze the puss slowly. After a few days, it looks like this. What should i do? Now i have benzoyl peroxide, clindamycine lotion. Pls help :(

Red acne scars and tissue damage from cystic acne

Often acne is not adequately controlled with topical preparations alone. If you tend to get acne cysts frequently, discuss a more aggressive treatment program with your dermatologist that may include oral antibiotics. Preventing acne prevents the scarring.

You may be able to accelerate the resolution of the redness with a vascular laser like Excel V, but you'll need other treatment to help smooth the indented scars. Your skin type and genetic background will help determine the safest laser or similar for acne scar treatment, so see a board certified dermatologist who has broad experience.

Micro needling is becoming more popular for certain skin types due to the absence of heat. But even micro needling can create post treatment pigmentation, so you will want to talk with your doctor about the use of pigment suppressors.

Lasers are fully heat-based and tend to cause pigmentation on all but lighter skins when used for scar improvement. (Pigmentation can be managed with laser, but needs to be built into the treatment sequence up front).

Newer scar reduction devices can bypass some of the pigment problems. Fractora is one such device that is based on radio frequency and seems to provide good results for skins that tend to pigment.

I know it is distressing to deal with acne, and particularly when you're left with scars that negatively impact your self-confidence. Find a good dermatologist and follow the program. You and your doctor may have to try a few different combinations of treatments, but when you find the right one, you'll be glad you invested the time and patience.

Getting the right combination for acne scarring with lasers, microneedling/prp and fillers

I recommend getting a formal evaluation with with acne scarring expert. Acne scars can be improved with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Redness after acne and acne scarring.

This usually subsides with the topicals you have. If it is prolonged, the Excel V laser can be used. For the acne scarring, Infini and Bellafill can be used. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Acne & acne scars

I would recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist to treat your acne more aggressively as it is leaving scars on your face.  Once your acne is well controlled I would recommend treatment for the color (red) and texture (indentations) of your acne scars, using 2 different lasers, both of which you will need a series of treatments.  

Best of luck to you.

Yoon-Soo Cindy Bae, MD