What type of laser treatment will get rid of my indented, pitted acne scars on pale skin? (Photo)

I am 21 and had cystic acne for a long time. I finally managed to get my acne under control, but I have deep scarring on my cheeks and temples. I am pale. I have tried chemical peela and dermarolling and have not had noticeable results in terms of my texture. What can I do?

Combnation treatments for Best Results

In your setting, I will often treat the icepick scars with TCA CROSS and perform a tissue release known as subscision at the same time.  This may require 1-3 sessions.  Following this, based on your downtime, either a heavy resurfacing procedure combining ablative erbium:YAG  and fractionated CO2 lasers (if you have 10-14 days recovery) or a series of lighter laser treatments such as fractionated CO2, Fraxel 1550, or even Radiofrequency needling (1-5 day downtime) may yield excellent results.  My final touch is to even up any residual scarring with a filler.  Combinations work best, so see someone experienced in such treatments.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I suggest a combination approach with lasers, fillers, TCA cross, and subcision.  Please see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Subcision and Fractional Resurfacing

Hi Raelani.  In your situation, we would use a combination of subcision and fractional laser resurfacing.  In some cases, we do both on the same day.  Subcision releases the hard, fibrous bands below the scar tissue that tether them down and fractional resurfacing removes small bits and pieces of scar tissue using small perforations in the skin caused by the laser.  

To see examples of Los Angeles acne scar before and after pictures for our patients, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Acne scarring treatment

I am a fan of the Infini for this type of scarring. It is RF that is placed with microneedles. After 3 or 4 treatments, fill the larger scars with Bellafill. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Pitted Acne Scars on White Skin

I would definitely consider both a filler and laser to treat these scars.  It will take a combination approach of either Fraxel or eMatrix and some fillers such as Restylane or Sculptra to improve these scars.  In the end you should have rejuvenated skin.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne Scar treatments in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in acne scars and we use a Hidef Acne Scar Protocol that includes ematrix RF, fractional laser and RF, subcision, laser resurfacing, v beam laser, and chemical peels to help improve scars. I would begin with application of Melapads twice daily. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS