What kind of acne scars are these? Do you think the appearance of them will improve over time? What can I do?

My face is pretty scarred after a horrible month-long bout of cystic acne. This cheek got the worst of it (the other entire side of my face is actually doing and looking great). Do you think these scars will be less apparent when the redness is gone or do you think they're too deep and would require some type of treatment? I'm not concerned about the little scars, but the ones left from the cysts give me horrible anxiety. How treatable are they? also: I'm currently on my second month of accutane

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Acne Scars and Best Treatment NYC

You are correct to be on Accutane therapy and after the course of treatment you will need a combination of Bellafill, lasers such as Fraxel or eMatrix and subcision for these deep acne scars.  PRP with microneedling is also very helpful for these scars.  It is a complicated process and you should consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

you will need a combination approach with lasers, fillers, TCA cross. I suggest seeing an expert for treatment. Ensure the acne is under control before. Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne Scars

It will take a combination of several treatments to offer you the best results for acne scar improvement. You would do well with fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing, subcision of the deepest scars, and dermal fillers to smooth the skin. Also, a pulsed dye laser treatment is great for removing the redness. The good news is you can expect the acne scars to improve over time with your Accutane treatment, and I recommend you wait at least 6 months after finishing your course of Accutane for ablative laser treatments. There are many techniques to treat acne scars, so consultation with an expert is recommended. In good health, Dr. Keel

Cystic acne scars? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs, NJ

In my opinion, you have multiple types of scars on your cheek. I also notice an underlying atrophy of the fat. You have erythema from the existing recent scars and a few acne pits and atrophic scars. The most recent erythema probably will go away on its own. The depressed scars and fat atrophy need to be treated. Fat atrophy can be treated with volumizers. Good example of volumizers include fillers and radio frequency micro-needling (infini). The more saucer shaped scars  can benefit from subcision and ablative and non-ablative lasers. Repairing the more superficial scars, without getting the Deep atrophy will leave irregularities. Please remember that lasers don't lift. Look for an acne scar expert. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon