What is the least invasive procedure recommend that would help me look as young on the outside as I feel on the inside? (photos)

I recently turned 40 & have lost a substantial amount of weight. Now my face looks very drawn & tired & old! My main concern is the lines around my mouth and the hollowness of my cheeks. I just started a new medication this past weekend that caused me to sleep much more deeply than I am used to, so my eyes are typically not this rough & I am hoping they will adjust!

Non-Invasive Procedures

I would start with replacing some of the lost volume to your cheeks and chin. Voluma would be ideal for your cheeks and Juvederm Ultra Plus for your chin. The products will last approximately 10 months for your chin and a year and a half for your cheeks. 

Aging after Weight Loss

Weight loss frequently causes the face to look "drawn & tired & old." This is caused by the deflation of the face and the resulting lines and hollowness you describe. This can be corrected by filling the face again by either a filler like Juvederm Voluma or fat. At your age, fat is the least expensive and, probably, the best.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Aging Prevention with lasers, RF treatments, microneedling/prp, sculptra

There are a number of treatments and in the right combination can give great results. Facial fillers can be used to give fullness and contour. I find that a combination of lasers or RF, sculptra for collagen building, microneedling/prp and skin care help the skin rejuvenation and prevent aging. Please see a cosmetic dermatologist for a long term treatment plan.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fillers for Youthful Appearance

Dear jenrenee76:

Looking at you photos, you would benefit from use of dermal fillers that help to revolumize and reflate appropriate areas to give you an enhanced youthful appearance .  Please see a expert injector for best results.  All the best.

What Is The Least Invasive Procedure Recommended That Would Help Me Look As Young On The Outside As I Feel On The Inside?

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photographs.  Congratulations on your weight loss!  Based on your photos, I would recommend the use of fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma to correct age-related facial volume loss and to most effectively accomplish your stated goal.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Filler for Facial Volume Loss

There are many non-invasive options to refresh your appearance, however the most effective choice for volume loss is going to be filler. Based on your concerns and photos, Sculptra might be a good option for you to consider. Sculptra is an injectable made from poly-L-lactic acid that works to replace lost collagen. It’s used to very effectively treat deep folds between the nose and the mouth (also called “smile lines”), and the hollowness of the cheeks. Results can last for more than two years. I recommend consulting with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive filler experience and one who will customize a treatment plan that fits your needs and goals.

Dennis Gross, MD

Non-Invasive Treatment for Volume Loss

Thank you for your question.  We address these problems daily with our patients.  Our best option for non-invasive volume loss is bulk heating of the skin.  We use a radio frequency device called Pelleve.  It is a very pleasant 30 minute procedure that feels like a warm rock massage.  We gently warm the skin and hold it at the target temperature for 3-5 minutes.  This causes the underlying collagen to contract.  Your body recognizes the sub-dermal injury and responds with additional collagen production.

We generally recommend a series of visits scheduled 4 weeks apart.  A general guideline is 1 treatment for every decade of your age.  The results are cumulative.  It takes your body 90-120 days to rebuild collagen.  After the initial treatment series, we recommend a maintenance treatment every 6-12 months.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market. 

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician