Hypertrophic Scar on Upper Lip? (photo)

I had a bike accident 5 months ago. I had stitches at the hospital. Some if these stitches in the middle of the upper lateral lip developed into hypertrophic scars. The scar began to contract which resulted in the elevation of part of the upper lip. The scar goes inside the lip. I can feel it by inserting my finger between my teeth and the lip. What should i do? Should i wait a few more months? Should i try steroid injections? What kind of creams if ny should i apply on the scar?

Doctor Answers 4

Upper lip scar correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This upper lip scar can be corrected partially with IIT and laser.  To correct the scar contracture, surgery may be required. 

Traumatic Lip Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, this scar is beyond the point where steroid injections or creams are likely to be very beneficial.  This scar will likely require surgical intervention in order to achieve a satisfactory result.  I would recommend seeing a Board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with experience in lip reconstruction.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Wow! Looks like this scar is under tremendous tension especially with your description of the tightness within your mouth. I have successfully revised scars like these after waiting a period of time. I would not inject this with steroids. A steroid cream cannot hurt and the massage can only help this.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the scar is still red, I would see a dermatologist for injections into the scar of a cortison call traimcinelone. It will have to be done once a month for several months, A pulsed dye laser can be tried in addition, if the scar is red. With this laser more than one treatment is also necessary.

Vicki J. Levine, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.