What would be the best surgical procedure for a large facial scar? (Photo)

I've had a large scar on my right cheek as a result of a car accident (shattered glass) since I was five years old. I'm 22 now, and ready to have it removed or refined. The scar is a tad "bumpy" and has a certain texture about it. What surgical procedure will give me the best results in getting my face back to "normal"? Thanks for your help.

What would be the best surgical procedure for a large facial scar?

Hello Esgray,
Given the size of your scar, that it is flat, and widened the best initial treatment would be a surgical excision.  The goal of this would be to replaced your wide scar with a thin scar.  Depending on how much give your skin has, it may also mean using certain surgical techniques that help to break up the straight line of the scar.  Once that is done there would likely be other treatments post operatively.  This may include lasers or dermabrasion although you do need to be careful with your skin type, possibly injections, topical ointments, and appropriate post operative care.  The goal would be to make your highly noticeable scar much less noticeable.  
I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  
I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser vs. surgical scar revision in Los Angeles

I would begin with laser based therapies rather than surgical scar revision. Fractional laser, fractional RF, Ematrix, and micro needling. 
Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scar on Face -- fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP, subcision

Facial scarring can improved with subcision, fillers, medical tattooing and laser treatment or surgical removal. I suggest you speak to an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Improving a Large Scar on the Face

Thank you for sharing your photo.  There are multiple ways to improve a flat, spread scar that you have.  While lasers (#Frax1540), radiofrequency microneedling (#Infini), deep microneedling (#Eclipse), and a combination of all three will help, the most rapid improvement will be with surgical revision.  My suggestion would be to excise the scar and then follow up with Frax 1540 in two to six weeks after the surgery.  When a wound is treated early, you will need fewer treatments and have a better permanent outcome.
Best of luck,Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.Houston, Texas 
#scars, #scarrevision, #acnescars, #traumaticscars, #surgicalscars, #nonsurgical, #noninvasive, #laser, #Cynosure, #ICON, #Frax1540, #radiofrequency, #microneedling, #Infini, #Eclipsemicropen, #micropen, facialscar, #plasticsurgery, #dermatology, #Houston, #Texas, #RefreshDermatology, #Chilukuri

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon