How to Get Rid of Fat Around a Vertical Abdominal Scar?

I had to have a hysterectomy due to placenta previa and my doctor cut me vertical. How can I get rid of the fat around this scar? It doesn't want to budge. I don't mind the scar, it's just this "double butt" on my stomach I can't stand.

Doctor Answers 2

Scar Revision Abdomen?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

Unfortunately,  is hard to give you good advice without direct examination. However, in the past I've had most success with patients in your situation with excisional scar revision;  this involves excision of the scar and debulking the “excess” adipose tissue on either side of the depressed scar.  Liposuction may be a useful tool as well. This procedure will serve to improve the contour the abdomen and improve the “double butt” appearance.

I  would suggest in person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Best wishes.

Abdominal scar revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can always liposuction to spot reduce areas of fat accumulation. It is more likely though that the scar directly connects the undersurface of the skin to the deeper muscle layers. If that is the case the treatment is to simply cut out the scar and then suture repair the different layers of tissue so more superficial layers do not adhere to deeper layers and the fat layer becomes continuous under the new skin scar.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.