I have acne scars that are depressed. I had laser done twice in the past with no improvements. Any suggestions?

Acne scars that are depressed

Treatment with Bellafill, an FDA approved filler, is an option for rolling acne scars that distend. I use that in combination with the Infini for treating these scars with success. Sometimes, general volumization of the face is also helpful. Subcision is done with Bellafill and can be done alone too.

Depressed acne scars

Dear popstar

Sorry for your experience.

The reason your scars are depressed is because the infection resulted in loss of fat and the lower level of the skin. This simply can not be improved with laser. 

You need release of the scar and filling of the hole from below. I am using your own body fat with stem cells and other growth factors from your blood. I am confident that it is the best treatment option available in the world today.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

A Combination is Needed

Acne scars usually require a combination of treatments. I suggest a series of lasers, fillers, microneedling/PRP to see improvement.  Please see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Acne scars treatment

Thank you for your question. There are many types of acne scarring - rolling, boxcar scars and ice pick scars. These types are amenable to many different types of treatment, but results vary for each type of scarring. Any of the modalities that injure the skin with subsequent collagen formation such as fractionated laser, dermroller, resurfacing lasers, deep peels, etc. may help your condition. Fillers are a good option, specifically Bellafill®, a permanent filler. Bellafil® is FDA approved in treating acne scars. The right modality for you depends on your skin type, expectations, patience, downtime, and cost. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD