I have picked at my skin for years. It is very tough. I have finally stopped and now I need to clear it up! (photo)

What works best for clearing up skin,Shrinking pores and getting rid of black heads ? I'm 31 years old . I've always had blackheads . I live in TN where the air is humid and I work outside and sweat a lot.

Diminishing pore size and comedones

Your problems can be addressed in two ways. First, topicals such as retinoids (retin-a) can help as well as a good glycolic exfoliative scrub. These can be obtained via Rx or from your dermatologist's office. Secondly, there are procedural options for these problems. I find the Fraxel lasers very helpful for tightening / diminishing pore size and resurfacing open comedones (or black heads). Fraxel's Clear and Brilliant laser (a 1440 nm laser) does a great job with smoothing the texture of the skin, tightening pores and making skin more radiant. There is very little downtime with this procedure. Another more aggressive but still non-ablative resurfacing option would be the Fraxel Dual laser. This is a 1927/1550nm dual wavelength fractional laser that gives a more indepth resurfacing treatment and also addresses pigmentation that can arise after blemishes have been picked. It is one of the lasers with FDA clearance for acne scars and I find it to be quite effective. You can expect a sunburned appearance on the first day followed by a bronzing appearance of the skin and then peeling which can last up to a week.

Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scar with darker skin treatment

I would consider the Infini for treating this. It is safe for your skin type and with sun exposure. It will also help with some of the active acne. Deeper scars might need filling with Bellafill after 3 treatments with the Infini.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hidef Acne Scar Protocol in Los Angeles

I would suggest treating your skin with our Hidef Acne Scar Protocol which includes Ematrix RF, fractional lasers, subcision, and fillers to improve skin quality. 
Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS