I have a question about loose skin after and during weight loss.

Hi, I've been losing weight. so far down around 100lbs and still need to lose more. I was wondering for loose skin would it be a good idea to wear some type of compression belt around my belly to help with it?

Saggy skin!

There's nothing worse than working your way through a diet only to end up with skin that hangs. Unfortunately, it's a common byproduct of weight loss.  The issue of loose skin begins long before any weight loss occurs. Instead, it starts when a large amount of weight is gained. When you gain weight, your skin's surface area increases to accommodate the new fat tissue (which is why "stretch marks" sometimes occur). While your fat cells shrink when that weight is lost, you still retain the same surface area. The new void under the larger surface area creates a layer of skin that may "hang," because there is less tissue underneath taking up space. This is what's known as loose or "sagging" skin. Maintaining or increasing muscle tissue is the key to minimizing loose skin. Remember, the phenomenon occurs when the underlying layers of tissue shrink under a much large surface area. If muscle mass is lost in addition to fat, it creates an even larger void under your skin's surface. On the other hand, increasing lean tissue fills the area underneath the skin, keeping it taut. Similar to the reasons above, incorporating strength training will allow you to maintain more muscle mass, or even build muscle if you're relatively new to this type of regimen. In your first year of resistance training, you may actually be able to build up to 20 to 25 rounds of muscle. (This will likely be less if you're dieting, given that a caloric deficit is not the optimum conditions for building muscle.)

Goog luck!

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon

LOOSE SKIN

For women over 30 yo, loose skin after weight loss or delivery almost always require surgical removal and reconstructive procedures. Most women are very happy with the resultsO

Loose skin

Many people see a lot of loose skin  after loosing 100 pounds. If the skin doesn't retract on its own over 1 to 2 years, then you most likely will need some type of skin removal/stretching surgeries. These  may include abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), thigh and/or arm lift, back and buttock lift, depending on where your problem lies. Good Luck

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN