Brownish-yellow Discoloration of Bilateral Oeruorbital Region of Eyes

Not jaundice. Hereditary (Dad and PGM have it too). Also have very dark circles (Not sure if that's contributing). Any ideas on how to treat the brownish-yellow discoloration? (Don't mind it being on lids, but hate suborbital discoloration)

Doctor Answers 2

Most likely not actually hyperpigmentation in the skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The skin around the eyes is extremely thin. There is no fat under this skin. In contrast the skin adjacent to these areas has a very thick layer of fat that acts to reflect light that penetrates the skin. This makes this skin look lighter. In constrast, light penetrating the thin eyelid skin is absorbed by the dark muscle that sits just under the skin and guess what, less light is reflected back into the overlying eyelid skin so it looks dark.

There are people who in addition to this have for some reason, extra pigment in their skin. It is just that you do not appear to be one of them. So lasers and expensive creams are not likely to do much for you. On the other hand, in the lower eyelid, the dark circle is always made worse by sagging of fat at the top of the cheek. This can be benefited by the injection of Restylane.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Periorbital familial hyperpigmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the brown is diagnosed clinically as pigment, and if it is not too deep (which can be checked with a dermatologist's Wood's light) then some lightening creams may help but be careful not to use one with steroid without a physician discussing the risks. Fraxel restore / dual laser may help after multiple treatments or one fraxel repair treatment. Discuss the risks and advantages with your doctor. Chemical peels often don't work for this.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.