How long must you wait to get plastic surgery to remove the left over skin from Sleeve Gastrectomy?

I'm getting a sleeve gastrectomy how long must you wait to get plastic surgery to remove the left over skin.

How long before doing post bariatric body contouring?

Hello and thank you for your question.  It's quite variable. I specialize in doing post massive weight loss body contouring.  I tell my patients that when their weight has stabilized for 3 months then they are ready. This could as soon as a year after tour bariatric surgery or 2 years.
Peter Fisher M.D. 

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Body Contouring after Weight Loss

Ideally you should be out a year or more from your bariatric surgery procedure and weight stable for at least 3 months. This means less than 5 pounds of weight change over a 3 month period. Some insurance companies will not authorize skin removal surgery until you are 12-18 months out from the bariatric procedure. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring after Weight Loss

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

I would suggest that you wait until you have reached your long-term stable weight prior to seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of examples  achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. 

Then, communicate your goals carefully. Learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with the operations discussed. Achieving realistic expectations will be important as well.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider options.   Best wishes.

Stable weight

Typically it takes months before you reach a stable weight.  Once this occurs and the skin is appropriate to remove, you could have your surgery.

Stable weight

How long to I wait until I can get a TT after weight loss gastric banding?

I usually recommend that patient achieve a stable weight, not be losing more for several months before I recommend doing a TT or LBL. Some people drop the weight quite quickly while others over a longer period of time.

Plastic surgery after bariatric surgery

Once your weight has stabilized and has stayed stable for about six months. This will help your system normalize as your weight loss can have negative effects on your healing potential. This usually takes about one to one and one-half years. Good luck. 

Plastic surgery after bariatric surgery

Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

I advise my patients to achieve a realistic target weight that they can maintain over the long term. In general this can take a year or more after the gastric sleeve operation. If you lose weight after body contouring surgery you will develop skin laxity that will compromise the cosmetic result. Body contouring procedures are major operations with associated risks so you only want to do them once. 

Most patients take up to a year to get their stable weight. Once this is achieved, I recommend that you wait at least 3 months to ensure that you can maintain the result. After that you can consider surgery to remove the excess skin. All the best.

Surgery after gastric sleeve removal

I agree with all the other experts. Typically one years the benchmark. If you're able to maintain a stable weight and good nutritional support this is the best time to move forward with any body contouring.

Surgery after gastric sleeve removal

Sleeve gastrectomy and skin excision

I think that you need to wait until your wait has stabilized. This usually takes a full year or more. Best of luck. I treat a lot of weight loss patients and they are usually very happy once the excess skin is removed.

Sleeve gastrectomy and skin excision