Insomnia, loss of collagen and elastin - possible to recover?

I am a 28-year old woman. For 8 years I have suffered from a grave insomnia, keeping me awake for days in a row, followed by maybe one or two nights of bad sleep. That happens over and over again. I have never been able to recover. Now my skin looks 10 years older than it is; it's saggy, dry, not soft like ut used to be and now some wrinkles have appeared under my right eyes and one on my forhead. If I regain sufficient sleep, will the skin repair itself and rebuild collagen and elastin?

Skin Care Recovery

Hi there,

Sorry you are experiencing sleep deprivation, which can take a toll on the skin of the face and body. Consider seeing a sleep specialist to determine the underlying issue. Our bodies recover and regenerate as we sleep, so by addressing the main problem, you are allowing yourself to take the right measures in preserving your skin health. I would highly recommend a high quality medical grade skin care routine that contains ingredients that have been developed to combat the early signs of aging as your first step in taking care of your skin.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin Care

Sorry to hear about your sleep issues. I would recommend getting a sleep study to find out what's going on. If you don't address this nothing will change. With good skin care (some simple products such as sunscreen, Retin A, and moisturizer) you can regain a lot of what you've lost. Best of luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon